Top Leader Board

pavement shrinkage

Home Forums Ground Maintenance pavement shrinkage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mac
    Participant

HOSE
    What causes Runways to shrink?

Mac
    Participant

FRETA
    I would suspect in part that it is due to lack of accurancy with laser survey measurements (human fault factoring) and it is sometimes due to a change in how runways are measured over uneven terrain. Just a guess.

craig senna
    Participant

I think Freta is right. Are there any warning signs in advance of shrinkage? What is a typical warning sign, if there are some?

Dan
    Participant

spidering, flaking, joint separation—shrinking pavement seeks out the points of least resistance and problems will manifest themselves in areas that may have moisture content.

jb
    Participant

How is your joint sealing awareness? Are you keeping moisture out of your sub-grade? Very important.

Scott
    Participant

My understanding is that our pavements don’t get the “kneading” action that streets and highways do. Traffic moving on roads,changing lanes etc,keeps the oils kneading through the AC. Our pavements are much larger,with portions of the surfaces never getting any traffic at all.
    The shoulders at RNO are asphalt and the shrinkage on them amazes me.

Ben Jachim
    Participant

LOL—couldn’t agree more on the “amazes me” remark. Both high traffic volume and low are susceptible to shrinkage, especially in freeze/thaw locations. Moisture is certainly a factor once it breaches the surface.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boschung Header & Footer