Top Leader Board

Blower Cutting Edges

Home Forums Products Blower Cutting Edges

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Scott 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Mac
    Participant

We have 2 Oshkosh brand throwers here. They currently have the poly plade at the bottom of the ribbon head. Has any one used anything else material wise or is this pretty standard. Poly holds up well for a short amount of time but quickly loses the nice edge. Just gathering food for thought.

Anonymous

Truly the ideal situation would be to keep your Cutting Edge whether it’s Poly or Steele, keeping it an inch to an inch and a half off the concrete will absolutely help with its lifespan. The majority of the problems I’ve run into is going into the grass to get wind rows. Hitting Frozen chunks of ice, have taken chunks out of the poly before. staying on the concrete and getting the snow before it freezes are some of the best preventive maintenance for a poly cutting edge.

Anonymous

One other thing I thought of maintaining your buggy Wheels on the blower head is huge. Monitoring your air pressure is critical in maintaining you’re cutting edge. Low air pressure between the two tires can make the cutting-edge wear uneven and blowing out a tire and not realizing it can ruin a poly cutting-edge as well. Checking your tires before going out and coming in is highly recommended for cutting-edge longevity and maintenance.

Dan
    Participant

I would either check into a Kahlbacher cutting edge or Kuper cutting edges. Ceramic type edges seem to hold up better.

Dan
    Participant

As for brooms, I like the MB poly’s. Getting 120 hours on these baby’s!!! Operator, broom speed, and smaller patterns give it an optimum advantage in shelf life.

marc angus
    Participant

Has anyone in the States used a Kahlbacher cutting edge? I would like to compare them to Kuiper

Bob Gardner
    Participant

It doesn’t really matter if you use poly, ceramic, or steel edges they should literally last indefinitely because they should always be 1-1.5” off the surface. Blowers are not designed to scrape the surface and the skid shoes under the head should protect the head overall. I can see if you are wading into a frozen pile you should expect some damage.
    You also need to know the durameter of the poly you use. The durameter is the hardness measurement of the poly. I use Fallline edges and end skid shoes on all my plows and blowers exclusively. Edges and skid shoes should be different hardnesses especially if you have inpavement lighting. A high durameter on the edge could break your lights and a soft or low durameter on your skid shoes will make them disappear like a pencil eraser.
    It’s not necessarily the material but the setup and operation that you will need to evaluate regardless of edge material you choose.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Bob Gardner.

jb
    Participant

Hard to argue with your response to this Bob. Very good points and perspectives on the durameter component. Likely overlooked in many applications. What kind of edges do you use on equipment other than the blowers. Totally agree on the height off the surface with blowers but front mounted plows have their own expectations for not leaving residual snow. If brooms are not a part of the equation due to wet/heavy, residual may cause friction issues even after sanded.

Bob Gardner
    Participant

We use poly exclusively on the airfield due to in ground lighting. Our brooms care for the remaining pavement cleaning. We also use poly street side on the larger plows due to manhole covers and water boxes. We will broom main streets for the first time this winter.

Scott
    Participant

X2 on everything Bob said. We also have good luck with Fallline edges.
    Just like ramp plow edges,the key is to not use them as a true cutting edge and keep them out of direct contact with the pavement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Boschung Header & Footer